Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum) has a long history in Indian holistic healing system of Ayurveda. For more than 5,000 years, Tulsi has been revered as a 'Queen of the Herbs', an ‘Incomparable One’, and a sacred Indian plant known for its delicate herbal basil-like flavour.
Tulsi entered the West through the tea trade route from the Orient, reaching Europe where it became known to the Christians as 'Holy' basil due to its many healing benefits. This is reflected in its Latin botanical name, Ocimum sanctum. Often regarded as a gift from the Christ, this powerful herb became part of offerings and spiritual rituals.
In Hinduism, Tulsi is worshipped as a goddess and even today, it is traditionally grown in an earthen pot situated in a courtyard of households where it serves both a practical and spiritual purpose. The divine leaves are often chewed and ingested on its own for its benefits and more commonly are used to prepare delicious and rejuvenating Tulsi tea.
There is a plethora of modern scientific studies that have classified Tulsi as an ‘adaptogenic’ plant. Adaptogens help body adapt to the physical, metabolic and psychological stressors, support normal bodily functions and help restore overall balance.
This aromatic herb consists of complex nutrients and phytochemicals that work synergistically offering many health benefits, such as:
- One of the natural stress relief herbs able to heal the body and soul.
- Natural adaptogens – helps strengthen the body’s response to stress.
- Lowers cortisol (stress hormone).
- Improves energy.
- Helps boost stamina and endurance.
- Supports healthy respiratory system, especially during a cough and sinus congestion
- Promotes enhanced mental clarity and focus.
- High in antioxidant properties help protect against free-radicals.
- Helps restore balance and promote healthy metabolism.
- Strengthens immune system.
- Supports digestion.
Tulsi, although known as a vitaliser, is completely caffeine-free. Enjoy this miracle herb as a morning, afternoon or an evening blend for a boost of energy or for a soothing experience.